We spent Christmas Day at my sister-in-law’s house with several members of my husband’s side of the family. Each guest family brought a dish and my sister-in-law requested that I bring Paula Deen’s Cheesy Squash Casserole. I sent my daughter to the grocery store while I was at work and she couldn’t find a single squash available. I made the executive decision to modify the recipe with zucchini and tomatoes, which were readily available. My brother in-law enjoyed the dish so much that he requested the recipe. Thus… Here goes…
- 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil
- 8 small-medium zucchini, thinly sliced
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 3 Roma tomatoes
- ½ stick of butter
- 2 cups of grated Parmesan
- 4 cups of shredded sharp cheddar
- 1 cup of sour cream
- Salt and ground pepper to taste
- 2 sleeves of Ritz crackers, crushed medium to fine
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease a 9x13 casserole dish.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Sauté the zucchini, tomato, onion, and butter until soft.
- Transfer to a bowl and stir in the Parmesan, cheddar, and sour cream.
- Add salt and pepper, to taste.
- Place in the prepared casserole dish and sprinkle the cracker crumbs evenly over the top.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until top is golden and bubbly.
This is my first recipe for the blog. Let me know if you make it and any modifications that you make. 🙂
40-something mama, wife, blogger – who shares her crafty and ordinary life with her family, their three tiny dogs, a fat tortoiseshell cat, – and LuLaRoe Independent Retailer with a sewing studio boutique that is a work in progress.
A native Texan, who spent one year in Georgia and over a decade as a single mom, is now happily married and sharing her opinions on products and life in photos and words strung together.